How To Get An Account - in Detail
From SaveTheWorld - a project of The Partnership Machine, Inc. (Sponsor: Family Music Center)
Here you will learn how to create your account, and how to make the simplest type of contribution - on the "discussion" page of any article. (See "Resources" above for links to more advanced ways to contribute.)
1. From "Main Page" at http://savetheworld.saltshaker.us/wiki/Main_Page, click on "REQUEST ACCOUNT" on top right of the screen.
2. At "RealName(WithoutSpaces)" type your real first and last name without spaces. Example: JoeShucks. Optional: You can add a middle name or nickname. Example: JoeCornShucks. Capitalization of the first letter of each name is helpful, but optional. This RealName will appear after your contributions where you edit an article or write a new article.
If your life or the lives of your relatives would be at risk from posting your ideas with your real name, you may enter another name followed by the number sign #. But read the warning, and understand the reasons for real names explained at FAQ#Exception: When Anonymous Posts Are Allowed
3. Enter your email address. This website software will email you a "confirmation code/link". Your email will not be posted publicly, but the SAVETHEWORLD administrator will have it, and will be able to email you with any questions about your application. After your account is approved, you can change your email address, if you have another.
4. At "Your Political Party & State" (or country) enter the single letter abbreviation of the political party on your voter registration card, and the two-letter abbreviation of your state or country. Example: "I-IA" for "Independent from Iowa". Or "N-SD" for Non-U.S. citizen from Sudan". If you are an adult U.S. citizen who has not registered to vote, register to vote! Optional: add a word or phrase summarizing your worldview. This will be public when you sign your contributions with 4 tildes (~~~~) - the squiggle in the upper left of your keyboard.
5. at "Personal biography (plain text only)" write at least 50 words about yourself. An error message will come up if you write fewer than 50. This bio serves two purposes: the SAVETHEWORLD administrator reviewing it will read it for assurance that it is written by and about a real, genuine human being, not by a web robot trying to sell wealth, health, or lust. Also, it will be the content of your personal page, at least until you change it later. If you include a link, it won't "work" since this section is "plain text only".
LINKS: You may include links to where you work, or a business you own. This is a sensitive area: most organizations and churches, even before the internet, wouldn't/don't let their membership directories include "advertizing". And online, the surest sign of spam is a link. But on the other hand, if it can be done without letting in garbage, it enhances relationships when partners know more about each other's activities and interests, and are able to help each other financially. BUT if your business is health, wealth, or lust, links to it will weigh against recognizing your account request as being from a real human. Lust, because nothing more quickly destroys our capacity for accomplishing great things. Wealth, because most wealth schemes are fraudulent and at best risky, and beyond our capacity to scrutinize. Health, because many popular articles about health are by people not qualified to understand what they are writing, and because we do not yet have a medically qualified administrator willing to add perspective to whatever claims are submitted. Maybe someday.
(6) Under "Other Information", you may give further evidence that you are a human which will NOT be automatically added to your personal page. You can upload a resume (usually one or two pages) or a "Curriculum Vitae", which might be as long as 12 pages. You can list any of your websites, including any pages you have on social media or Youtube.
Click "Create your account" (If you later change something, remember to click "save" at the bottom.)
(7) Check out the Terms of Service. It is very short. It is a summary of what you can't do on this website, with links to what you CAN do, and to more detail. Click that you have read them, and then answer the math question. No fair using a calculator.
(8) ERROR: if the error message says "Username is already in use...", that means someone with your same name has requested an account, or has already received one. In that case, please add a middle name or number between your first and last name. After your account is approved the administrator will check the other name and delete it if it is not really in use, and remove the number from your RealName.
(9) Go to your email program, and find the email from "Partner@savetheworld.saltshaker.us". Click on the long link. That will get you to a page which tells you "Your email address has been confirmed and will be listed as such in your account request." That will also generate an email to the SAVETHEWORLD administrator, who will review it and activate your account, hopefully in less than a day.
(10) When approval is emailed to you, it will give you a temporary password. Click on the first link, and That opens up a screen in your browser (the program with which you surf the internet) that will congratulate you. Print out that screen, mount it in an expensive frame, and hang it next to the picture of your mother. Then log in with the temporary password, then change it to the password you want to keep. Now your account is confirmed!
But there is one more thing you need to do before you may edit articles! Confirm your email account AGAIN! Go to the "preferences" tab on the left edge of the screen. Over half way down the page is a place to confirm your email address. If you don't do it right away, then the first time you try to edit an article the error message will tell you you need to confirm the email address and will take you to the preferences page.